Luxury Watch Consignment
Whether you own one exceptional watch or a large collection of timepieces, there comes a time when you might consider consigning your watch. When you are ready to sell a luxury watch, Sotheby’s is at the ready to help you realise the highest price for your timepiece.
Today’s watches market is stronger than ever. Sotheby's watch specialists have cultivated strong relationships with the world’s most active collectors. Live watch auctions are held in London, New York, Geneva and Hong Kong, and online watch auctions and private sales also have broad appeal. In 2017, 1,035 collectors bid in dedicated watches sales (an increase of 20 percent over 2016) and, since 2013, almost 2,900 bidders from 81 countries have bid on timepieces in our New York salesroom. Sotheby’s, your most reliable resource for watch appraisal and consignment, continues to outpace market competitors, often achieving hammer prices well above our estimates.The 10 Most Spectacular Watches Sold at Sothebys in 2018Launch Slideshow
Selling Watches with Sotheby's is Simple
1. Request an estimate online
2. Meet with a specialist in person in your nearest city
Talk to a Watch Specialist
GENEVA: +41 22 531 00 24
NEW YORK: +1 646 568 1233
LOS ANGELES: +1 310 274 0340
HONG KONG: +852 5808 2138
LONDON: +44 20 3868 8955
TOKYO: +81 3 6770 2873
Watches Consigned with Sotheby's
86LotH. Moser & Cieendeavour perpetual calendar, reference 1341-0500a dlc-coated titanium wristwatch with date and power reserve indication, circa 201019 November 2018 | Sale Price 20,000 USDEstimate 10,000 – 15,000 USD19 November 2018 | Sale Price 20,000 USDWatches19 November 2018 | 7:30 PM GST | Dubai
2200LotH. Moser & Cieplatinum dual time zone wristwatch with am/pm indication case 200109319 endeavour dual time circa 20152 October 2018 | Sale Price 100,000 HKDEstimate 80,000 – 150,000 HKD2 October 2018 | Sale Price 100,000 HKDImportant Watches2 October 2018 | 11:00 AM HKT | Hong Kong
2197LotH. Moser & Ciewhite gold perpetual calendar wristwatch with power reserve indication and fumé dialcase 200102024 perpetual 1 circa 20142 October 2018 | Sale Price 162,500 HKDEstimate 100,000 – 200,000 HKD2 October 2018 | Sale Price 162,500 HKDImportant Watches2 October 2018 | 11:00 AM HKT | Hong Kong
2196LotH. Moser & Cieplatinum wristwatch with perpetual moon phases, am/pm and 7-day power reserve indicationcase 200106275 endeavour moon circa 20102 October 2018 | Sale Price 106,250 HKDEstimate 85,000 – 120,000 HKD2 October 2018 | Sale Price 106,250 HKDImportant Watches2 October 2018 | 11:00 AM HKT | Hong Kong
2198LotH. Moser & Ciepalladium perpetual calendar wristwatch with power reserve indication case 200108075 perpetual 1 circa 20142 October 2018 | Sale Price 200,000 HKDEstimate 120,000 – 200,000 HKD2 October 2018 | Sale Price 200,000 HKDImportant Watches2 October 2018 | 11:00 AM HKT | Hong Kong
5043LotRolexa yellow gold diamond-set centre seconds wristwatch with diamond sapphire and ruby-set honeycomb dial, day, date and braceletref 19048 case 6744577 oyster quartz day-date circa 198125 September 2018 | Sale Price 35,000 GBPEstimate 20,000 – 40,000 GBP25 September 2018 | Sale Price 35,000 GBPWatches25 September 2018 | 2:00 PM BST | London
14LotRolexa rare stainless steel automatic dual time wristwatch with date and bracelet made for the special air serviceref 216570 no g789xxx explorer ii sas circa 201225 September 2018 | Sale Price 27,500 GBPEstimate 12,000 – 18,000 GBP25 September 2018 | Sale Price 27,500 GBPWatches25 September 2018 | 2:00 PM BST | London
2411LotRolexfine and rare white gold, diamond and sapphire-set dual time zone wristwatch with date and braceletref 116749sablnr case 3961v664 gmt-master ii circa 20172 October 2018 | Sale Price 937,500 HKDEstimate 600,000 – 800,000 HKD2 October 2018 | Sale Price 937,500 HKDImportant Watches2 October 2018 | 11:00 AM HKT | Hong Kong
2263LotRolexvery fine and extremely rare stainless steel dual time wristwatch with date, original matte dial, bakelite bezel and braceletref 6542 case 112843 'pink' gmt-master circa 19562 October 2018 | Sale Price 1,500,000 HKDEstimate 1,200,000 – 3,000,000 HKD2 October 2018 | Sale Price 1,500,000 HKDImportant Watches2 October 2018 | 11:00 AM HKT | Hong Kong
59LotRolexday-date ref 18046a platinum and diamond set automatic center seconds wristwatch with day date pave diamond and sapphire set dial and bracelet circa 19805 December 2018 | Sale Price 43,750 USDEstimate 30,000 – 50,000 USD5 December 2018 | Sale Price 43,750 USDImportant Watches5 December 2018 | 10:00 AM EST | New York
Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of watches does Sotheby's buy and sell?Sotheby’s Watches sells the finest timepieces from the 16th to the 21st centuries, including pocket watches, wristwatches, tourbillons and perpetual calendars. Whether you’ve inherited your watch or are looking to update your collection, the worldwide authority in valuing and selling luxury watches, makes consigning easy and rewarding.
While Sotheby's does not buy watches directly, we offer year-round sales into which you can quickly and privately consign your watch.
- Can I sell watches online with Sotheby's?Absolutely. Throughout the year, we hold live and online watch auctions that attract global audiences competing for the top luxury watches. When you submit a watch for review by one of our specialists, they will consider it for consignment in both online and live sales.
- Which watch models consistently perform well at watch auctions?Watch enthusiasts are particularly fond of Rolex Daytona, Rolex Submariner, Patek Philippe Calatrava, Patek Philippe Nautilus, Audemar Piguet Royal Oak and Cartier Tank watches. Sotheby's is your best resource to sell these luxury watches and much more.
In addition to Sotheby’s live sales , online auctions also attract watch collectors and connoisseurs. From Patek Philippe's special edition of their iconic world time reference 5130, to A. Lange & Söhne's limited-edition minute repeater, and an experimental Rolex watch, Sotheby's online auctions are a top-quality option for consignors to sell their watch quickly and to a broad international audience.
- What is the most elaborate complication in a watch?Typically, the first examples that spring to mind are watches incorporating perpetual calendars and tourbillons. While these are by no means easy feats in watchmaking, they are somewhat overshadowed by what is widely considered "the most complex of horological complications" – the grande sonnerie or grand strike complication. This can be seen on an example such F.P. Journe's Grande et Petite Sonnerie Souveraine. This piece combines a quarter striking mechanism with a minute repeating mechanism, which allows the user to hear the time striking as it passes and to activate a minute repeating function on demand.
- How much does it cost to have Sotheby's appraise my watch?Sotheby's does not perform appraisals but rather we provide auction estimates for all watches we believe we can sell at auction. Our auction estimate evaluations are complimentary and do not cost you anything. If your watch is a good fit for one of our auctions, your dedicated specialist will provide you with a sale recommendation and expected sale value. They will be able to assist you with any questions about commission, shipping, or sale timing. If we believe your watch would sell better elsewhere, we will try and give you a recommendation for an alternate venue.