The pre-owned watch market is stronger than ever, with international collectors driving prices to unmatched heights. As a global auction house with watch sales in London, New York, Geneva and Hong Kong, Sotheby’s is uniquely positioned to capitalize on this market growth to help sell your Panerai watch for the best price. In fact, in 2018 Sotheby’s New York sold $86.4 million worth of watches on behalf of our consignors, an increase of 32% in five years.
To discover the value of your Panerai watch, simply submit your photos and information to Sotheby's through our easy-to-use online estimate form. Some of the most desirable consigned Panerai timepieces include the Luminor, Luminor Marina, Luminor Regatta, Luminor Tourbillon GMT, Radiomir, Radiomir Rattrapante and Mare Nostrum. Recently, a Rolex for Panerai military stainless steel diver's watch circa 1943, estimated at 26,000 - 35,000 GBP, realised 81,250 GBP at a Sotheby's auction. When you are ready to sell your vintage or modern Panerai watch, let Sotheby’s help you realise the highest price.
Find Out the Value of Your Watch
Submit photos and information about your Panerai watch and begin your complimentary estimate request.
Get an Estimate
Selling Your Panerai Watch with Sotheby's is Simple
Talk to a Watch Specialist
Talk to a Watch Specialist
GENEVA: +41 22 531 00 24
NEW YORK: +1 646 568 1233
LOS ANGELES: +1 310 274 0340
HONG KONG: +852 5808 2138
LONDON: +44 20 3868 8955
TOKYO: +81 3 6770 2873
Watches Consigned with Sotheby's
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the best time to sell my Panerai watch?Throughout the year, Sotheby's hosts watch sales online and in multiple selling locations, including Hong Kong, London, Geneva and New York. Based on our specialists' understanding of the market and the current appetite of watch buyers, we are able to recommend the best location and time of year to sell a Panerai watch.
Sotheby's is also pleased to launch Watches Weekly , a new fast and dynamic online auction format to meet collectors’ needs and respond to the rapidly evolving market. This new weekly series offers a quicker turnaround between appraisal and sale and has already held new records for online watch auctions. Once you submit your Panerai watch details for an auction estimate appraisal, Sotheby's watch specialists will be able to provide their recommendations.
- How did the Panerai Sylvester Stallone model come to be?Founded in 1860, but unavailable to the public market until 1993, the brand gained popularity when actor Sylvester Stallone noticed the watches of Officine Panerai while travelling in Italy. He commissioned a watch to be specially made and went on to wear it in the 1996 Rob Cohen film, Daylight. This event led to the production of a personalised series of watches known as Luminor Slytech after Stallone’s nickname, Sly. In turn, this attracted the attention of the Richemont Group (then the Vendôme Group), which purchased the company in 1997, launching the brand on the international market the following year.
- Must I have the original documents or receipts that came with my Panerai watch?Our specialists will need clear photographs and as much information as you can provide in order to determine your watch's auction estimate. Although we can evaluate your Panerai wristwatch with photographs alone, it is helpful to have any original paperwork. Once you submit your information online, you will be able to track the estimate process, and one of our specialists will contact you directly if there are any questions about your timepiece.
- Is every Panerai watch marked with a signature?Generally speaking, each Panerai wristwatch bears a maker’s mark and serial number. Unfortunately, markings are sometimes forged, so our experts recommend that you submit images of your fine timepiece and trust a Sotheby’s specialist to interpret any maker’s marks. Simply send photographs to our experts, who will use their knowledge of Panerai workmanship to confirm the piece’s authenticity.
- Why are pre-owned and vintage Panerai watches so valuable?Vintage collecting, as a hobby and as an investment, has exploded over the last five years. In general, the Panerai watches that have best retained their value include the Radiomir, Luminor, Luminor Marina, Luminor Slytech and Mare Nostrum styles.
Sotheby’s is your best resource to buy and sell a Panerai watch, wristwatch, timepiece or table clock such as the rare, limited-edition Luminor, Luminor Marina, Luminor Slytech, Radiomir, Trittico, Egiziano and Mare Nostrum styles. Desirable features include diver’s compass, 8-day power reserve, second counter and day and night indication.