Are you fortunate to have found an old painting in your attic or perhaps you recently inherited an oil painting? If you are wondering, “How much is my painting worth?” Sotheby’s is your best source to evaluate and sell a painting. Before you sell a signed or unsigned antique painting, drawing, limited-edition print or etching, ask our experts to weigh in on its value.
Sotheby’s has a team of international painting specialists in London, New York, Hong Kong, Paris, and other major cities around the world that specialize in paintings from all eras and countries. With art specialists in categories such as Dutch, German, French, Swiss, Chinese, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, British, American, Russian, African, Indian and Israeli paintings, Sotheby's has the expertise to accurately identify, value, and sell your painting to an international audience of buyers.
Simply submit images and information of your contemporary, modern, antique, or old painting through our easy-to-use online estimate form, and our specialists will contact you about its sale potential. They will help you determine when and where to sell your painting based on our upcoming auction schedule. In addition to auctions, we conduct private sales of all types of paintings. To learn more, click here.
Find Out the Value of Your Painting
Submit photos and information about your painting to begin your complimentary estimate request.
Get an Estimate
Selling a Painting with Sotheby's is Simple
1. Request an estimate online
2. Meet with a specialist in person in your nearest city
Paintings Consigned with Sotheby's
Get Started with an Estimate
Get Started with an Estimate
Get an Estimate
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the best time to sell my painting?Exceptional paintings, drawings and sketches are always in demand by international buyers and collectors. With live and online sales of fine art happening throughout the year at Sotheby's, we offer many options to sell your antique or modern painting. The recommended sale timing and location is unique and customized for each painting, whether you wish to sell a Dutch floral still life, a Colonial American portrait, or a modern abstract painting. Submit your painting today to speak with our fine art specialists about how Sotheby's can help you sell your painting.
- What types of paintings does Sotheby's sell?Sotheby's sell works from antiquity until the present day. Our auctions, which can range from being highly specialized to more general, offer many ways for you to sell your painting. If you would like more information about a specific category of art, please click below to find out more:
Latin American Art
Contemporary African Art
Old Master Paintings
19th Century Paintings
Impressionist and Modern Art
American Folk Art
- Why should I sell my painting at auction?Auctions are a sale mechanism that determines the value of the piece based on the demand. As an international auction house, our auctions see a wide variety of bidders and buyers, and it only takes two interested parties to potentially see a work sell for a price above the estimated value. We curate our auctions to attract the top bidders and buyers around the world to ensure your artwork sells for the highest price. Auction may not be right for every item, so our specialists can also discuss private sales, online sales, or other selling options with you.
- How much does it cost to have Sotheby's appraise my painting?While we do not offer appraisals, only auction estimate valuations, they are complimentary and do not cost you anything. We review all submissions and provide valuations for paintings we believe we can sell at auction. We will inform you if your painting is not a good fit for a Sotheby's auction, and we will do our best to provide you with a recommendation of another venue to sell your artwork.
- How much is an unsigned painting worth?Exciting discoveries can still be made when it comes to unsigned or signed paintings. Many of our sales, and sometimes top-selling lots, include re-discovered or previously unknown paintings. By submitting clear images of your painting online, you can explore how much your signed or unsigned painting is worth at auction.
- How do I ship my painting to Sotheby's?The first step to selling your antique or modern painting with Sotheby's is to submit your painting's details online. Once submitted, our specialists will be in touch with you about the auction estimate and sale date for your work. They can also assist with securing a quote for shipping. The white-glove shippers that Sotheby's works with can pack and ship even the most fragile of artworks.
- Can a specialist come view and evaluate my painting in-person?Sotheby's has painting specialists located around the world and we sell paintings in New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Milan, Mumbai, Zurich, and Dubai. Our specialists also travel frequently to view paintings in-person, and all upcoming evaluation days will be listed on this page. You can also contact your closest office directly if you have additional questions.
NEW YORK +1 212 606 7000
LONDON +44 20 7293 5000
PARIS +33 1 53 05 53 05
HONG KONG +852 2524 8121