ANDREW WYETH | ELSIE'S HOUSE
1917 - 2009
signed Andrew Wyeth (lower right); also dated Oct. 1983 and titled Elsie's House (on the reverse)
watercolor and pencil on paper
20 by 28 inches
(50.8 by 71 cm)
This watercolor will be included in Betsy James Wyeth’s forthcoming catalogue raisonné of the artist’s work.
Private collection, Maine, 1984 (gift from the above)
Private collection, Connecticut
Private collection, Connecticut (by descent from the above; sold: Sotheby's, New York, May 22, 2013, lot 2)
Acquired by the present owner at the above sale
Elsie’s house, located in Port Clyde, Maine, at the end of the St. George Peninsula, belonged to a lifelong friend of the artist to whom he gifted the present work. The house and its inhabitants served as subject matter for both Andrew Wyeth and his father, N.C., including the former’s Around the Corner, 1994 (private collection), and the latter’s Port Clyde, Maine, circa 1930 (private collection), The Morris House, Port Clyde, circa 1935 (Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, Maine) and Dark Harbor Fishermen, 1943 (Portland Museum of Art, Portland, Maine).