Old Master Paintings Consignment
Whether you recently inherited a Gothic painting or own a collection of Renaissance paintings, Sotheby's experts are available to help you value and sell your painting to our international audience. Our recent Old Master painting auctions have performed beyond expectations, demonstrating broadened enthusiasm for Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque paintings.
In New York, the results of Sotheby’s exciting 2020 Masters Week Evening Sale achieved over 61 million USD, a 17 percent increase from last year's sales. The top-selling lot, Tiepolo’s Madonna of the Rosary with Angels, sold for a record 17.3 million USD. With top prices for high-profile Old Master artists such as Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Anthony van Dyck, J.M.W. Turner, Joseph Wright of Derby, and John Constable, and a strong interest in the work of lesser known artists and workshops in online sales, now is the time to consign with Sotheby's.
To learn about the value of your Old Master painting, simply submit images and information through our easy-to-use online estimate form. Our global team of specialists will review your submission and issue preliminary estimates for items that can be included in our sales. In addition to this, we also conduct private sales of Old Master Paintings. To learn more, click here.
Find Out the Value of Your Old Master Painting
Submit photos and information about your Old Master painting and begin your complimentary estimate request.
Get an Estimate
Old Master Paintings Consigned with Sotheby's
Get Started with an Estimate
Get Started with an Estimate
Get an Estimate
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the best time to sell my Renaissance, Baroque or Gothic painting?In 2018, the global market for Old Master paintings is surging, with Sotheby’s leading the market and commanding the attention of hundreds of international buyers. In fact, bidders from more than 45 countries have participated in Sotheby’s Old Master paintings sales as of the first half of 2018. With paintings by Dutch, French, English, Italian, German, and European painters finding eager bidders and setting new records in our New York and London sales, there is no better time to consign an Old Master painting with Sotheby's.
- When does Sotheby's sell Old Master paintings?The Old Master department sells paintings year round in online and live sales in New York, London and Paris. The major evening sales occur in January and June in New York and December and July in London. We also hold a live auction in June in Paris. Online sales of Old Masters paintings also command the attention of worldwide collectors and occur throughout the year. In fact, a recent Old Masters online sale attracted more than 135 bidders.
- What types of paintings does the Old Masters department accept for consignment?The Old Masters department offers paintings by European artists from the late 13th to the early 19th centuries. Our global team includes twenty dedicated Old Master specialists, many with a tenure of more than fifteen years. Their expertise covers all schools in this diverse category, including Dutch, Flemish, German, French, Spanish, British and Italian Old Master paintings. Master Paintings sales offer works of various subject matter including Venetian canal scenes, Renaissance still-lifes and religious scenes, French interiors, and Italian portraits. The sales also often host new discoveries, such as a previously unpublished Jan Brueghel landscape or a long hidden portrait by Velázquez.
- Why do I need to submit an image of the back of my painting?High quality images of the front and back of your painting are especially important for our specialists to be able to research efficiently and provide you with the most accurate assessment of your property. The back of the painting can be of particular interest to our specialists as any visible markings and labels might provide information regarding provenance and exhibition history.
- How much does a Sotheby's appraisal of my Renaissance, Baroque or Gothic painting cost?Our estimate valuations are complimentary and do not cost you anything. We review all submissions and provide valuations for Old Master paintings we believe we can sell. We will inform you if your art is not a good fit for a Sotheby's sale, and we will do our best to provide you with a recommendation of another venue to sell your painting.
Sotheby’s is your best resource to buy and sell Old Master paintings by artists such as Rembrandt, Fragonard, Goya, Ingres, Peter Paul Rubens, Anthony van Dyck, Cranach, Joseph Wright of Derby, J.M.W. Turner, Ochtervelt and Brueghel. Other artists popular at live and online auctions include Canaletto; Diego Rodrigues de Silva y Velazquez; Adriaen Isenbrant; Sano di Pietro; Jacopo Tintoretto; Louise Moillon; Jean-Baptiste Greuze; Sir Thomas Lawrence; Claude Joseph Vernet; Giovanni Battista Tiepolo; Valentin de Boulogne; Giovanni Grubacs and Carlo Grubacs; Luca Giordano; Bernardo Bellotto; Willem Drost; and Adam de Coster.