20,000 - 30,000 GBP
bidding is closed
- Allan Ramsay
- Portrait of Sir George Hay-Makdougall, 3rd Bt. (1705-77), half-length, wearing a red coat over an embroidered waistcoat
- signed and dated lower right: A. Ramsay 1742
- oil on canvas, in a painted oval
- 76.5 x 63.5 cm.; 30 1/8 x 25 in.
List of Portraits at Fettercairn House, 1924, p. 10 (as 'oval of a man to left in red coat, grey wig white white scarf'; Long Passage).
Sir George Hay-MakDougall was the grandfather of Sir William Forbes, 6th Bt. (1739-1806) (see lots 149 and 310). A signed and dated version of this portrait, of 1742, is published as being in the possession of the MakDougall family.1
1. A. Smart, Allan Ramsay, A Complete Catalogue of his Paintings, New Haven and London 1999, pp. 133-34, cat. no. 256, reproduced p. 243, fig. 112.