It’s a problem many women face. How to clean your diamond ring? While a diamond is the hardest natural substance on Earth, it still requires regular care to maintain the brilliance that all 58 facets project. Subjected to daily regimes, such as manicures or Pilates classes, grease and oil collect underneath the diamond creating a film of dirt. A diamond’s sparkle is a direct result of light entering the top of the diamond, traveling to the bottom, where the light reflects and refracts from one side to the other before reflecting brilliantly back to the eye of the beholder – until it gets dirty. Dirt restricts light from entering the diamond, dulling its sparkle.
SOTHEBY'S DIAMONDS DIAMOND PAVE COCKTAIL RING CENTERING A CUSHION-CUT DIAMOND WEIGHING 17.78 CARATS.
MOUNTED IN PLATINUM WITH PAVÉ-SET DIAMONDS. PRICE UPON APPLICATION.
Five ways to keep your diamond ring tennis-elbow worthy:
1) Dishwashing Soap: This household staple mixed with lukewarm water is perhaps the quickest way to clean your ring. Away from the sink drain, swish the ring in the warm soapy water for a minute. While the ring is wet, use a toothbrush to gently scrub underneath the diamond and in the grooves of the setting. Rinse off with warm water.
2) Vodka: This may be an old wives tale, but it never fails. Drop your ring into a shot glass filled with a clear hard alcohol like vodka or gin. Allow the ring to soak for several hours. The ethanol content is a natural solvent that dissolves dirt molecules attached to the diamond.
3) Baking Soda: One of the most versatile natural minerals, its chemical properties work wonders to clean hard substances like diamonds. Combine baking soda with water to create a paste. Use a toothbrush to gently scrub the diamond and setting. Rinse with warm water.
4) Windex (no bleach based products!): Restore your diamond's sparkle by soaking it in Windex overnight. Rinse and wear.
5) Every 6 Months: Your jeweler should check the prongs of the setting to make sure your diamond is secure and professionally clean it using an ultrasonic system.
Should you still be on the search for the perfect diamond ring, look no further. The Sotheby’s Diamonds Collection is available for immediate purchase 365 days a year at our Sotheby’s Diamonds salons in New York and Hong Kong as well as exclusive selling exhibitions worldwide.
New York +212 894 1400 | Hong Kong +852 2822 8179 | London +44 (0)20 7293 6430