Born in 1898 into Sicilian aristocracy, Fulco di Verdura grew up amongst the glamour of European society, however he burned through what was left of his inheritance – mostly on a ‘1799’ themed costume party at his palazzo in Sicily, and was forced to earn his own living. In 1927 he started working for Coco Chanel, initially as a textile designer, later moving onto jewellery.
Amongst his most recognisable pieces were the bold, Byzantine-style Maltese cross bangles, worn frequently by Coco, one on each wrist. These are still in production today, a testament to his ability to design jewellery that has enduring appeal. After his death in 1979, the business was sold along with Verdura’s full archive of nearly 10,000 original jewellery designs, allowing the company to continue to produce his timeless designs today.
Now is the perfect time to sell Verdura jewelry because today’s global market for exceptional jewels is highly competitive. When you are ready to sell your Verdura jewelry, Sotheby’s can help you realise the highest priceJewels by Great American Makers, Including Webb, Winston and Tiffany & Co.Launch Slideshow
Request an Estimate
Register or log in to your Sothebys.com account to send photos and information about your Verdura jewelry and begin your complimentary auction estimate request.
Selling Your Verdura Jewelry with Sotheby's is Simple
1. Request an estimate online
2. Meet with a specialist in person in your nearest city
Talk to a Jewelry Specialist
GENEVA: +41 22 531 0022
NEW YORK: +1 646 518 8553
LOS ANGELES: +1 310 274 0340
HONG KONG: +852 5803 0036
LONDON: +44 20 3868 8645
PARIS: +33 (0)1 85 14 96 56
MILAN: +39 02 29 500 201
TOKYO: +81 3 6770 2873
MADRID: +34 91 123 4218
MONTE CARLO: 8009 3827
Verdura Jewelry Consigned with Sotheby's
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the most popular Verdura jewelry collections?Verdura jewelry remains among the most popular offerings at Sotheby’s auctions. Especially collectible are iconic Byzantine designs such as a Theodora brooch or Ravenna brooch, Maltese Cross cuffs, belt necklace, jeweled cigarette case, curb-link bracelet, wing brooch, sea shell jewelry, target earrings, wrapped heart brooch, double crescent bracelet, feather headdress, Diana earclips and jewelry embellished with enamel and miniature paintings.
- Is every Verdura piece marked with a signature?A good starting point is to look for the Verdura hallmark on the underside of the jewelry. Unfortunately, hallmarks are sometimes forged, so our experts recommend that you submit images of your fine jewelry and trust a Sotheby’s specialist to interpret any signatures or inscriptions. Simply send photographs to our experts, who will use their knowledge of Verdura workmanship to confirm the piece’s authenticity.
- How much is my Verdura jewelry worth?Sotheby's specialists have years of experience in valuing Verdura jewelry. When you submit your piece online, our specialists will consider its general condition, the presence of a Verdura signature, prices achieved at auction for similar pieces, quality of the gemstones, and its history of ownership before determining an appropriate auction estimate. Consign Verdura jewelry now for our 2019 live auctions and online sales.
Sotheby’s is your best resource to buy and sell Verdura jewelry such as a vintage or modern ring or a bracelet, bangle, necklace, pendant, choker, earrings, earclips, cufflinks or other jewelry embellished with precious or semi-precious gems and stones such as a diamond, ruby, emerald, sapphire, amethyst, garnet, heliodor, aquamarine, onyx, turquoise, topaz, coral and pearl and set in yellow gold, white gold or platinum. Particularly desirable are Byzantine designs such as a Theodora brooch or Ravenna brooch, Maltese Cross cuffs, belt necklace, jeweled cigarette case, double crescent bracelet, feather headdress, curb-link bracelet, wing brooch, sea shell jewelry, target earrings, wrapped heart brooch, Diana earclips and jewelry with enamel and miniature paintings.