Tax, Heritage & UK Museums at Sotheby’s London is dedicated to providing UK based clients and their professional advisors assistance on UK taxation and heritage issues arising through the acquisition, ownership and selling of works of art.
Our range of expertise includes:
· pre- and post-sale tax valuations
· arranging valuations for family tax planning purposes and working with advisers on planning
· negotiating heritage exemptions with HMRC
· offers in lieu of Inheritance Tax and the Cultural Gifts Scheme
· tax-efficient sales of art to UK museums and galleries
· loans to UK museums and galleries and government indemnity insurance
· chattels rental negotiations
· valuation negotiations with HMRC
· representing clients before the Reviewing Committee for the Export of Works of Art
We work closely with many of the leading private client advisers in the UK and work in conjunction with Sotheby’s valuations team, and Sotheby’s worldwide network of art experts across all collecting fields.
Members of the team are regularly invited to lecture on tax and heritage issues to legal and accountancy professionals, and take part in lobbying initiatives with other interest groups, and enjoy strong working relationships with HMRC and other relevant government agencies.
MAIN IMAGE: AN IMPORTANT DIAMOND TIARA ATTRIBUTED TO OSCAR MASSIN, CIRCA 1887 FORMERLY IN THE COLLECTION OF PRINCESS LOUISE, THE PRINCESS ROYAL. ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF INHERITANCE TAX AND ALLOCATED TO HISTORIC ROYAL PALACES FOR DISPLAY AT KENSINGTON PALACE.