COLLECTION OF 10 EARLY HIP HOP FLYERS DESIGNED BY PHASE 2, RANGING IN DATE FROM 1981-1982.
Original paper handbills, ranging in size from 6 x 8 1/2 in. to 8 1/2 x 11 in., on green, yellow, beige, pink, white and blue paper. A couple creased where previously folded, a few small faint spots of soiling and or toning, but overall in excellent condition.
PHASE 2 was a Bronx-born artist who first began to use the name Phase 2 in late 1971. He first began using his "softie" bubble letters in late 1972, which became a tremendous influence on later artists. He would later go on to become the art director of the International Get Hip Times, (see lot 8) which was the first 'zine about aerosol culture. Phase would participate in a number of Hip Hop shows, for which he would also design the flyers, and would often create large aerosol pieces on stage in front of the live audience.
Hip Hop flyers such as these are some of the best primary sources for documenting the nascent Hip Hop movement. Packed with information, they record early fashion, the party scene, and give us the ability to trace the early evolution the careers of numerous DJs and artists; because they were only intended for short time use, very few have survived intact.
1. Friday, May 8, 1981 - Ecstasy Garage - Super Anniversary for The Everlovin’ Cold Crush Brothers – Mean Gene & Crew (yellow)
2. Saturday, September 19, 1981 - Harlem World - AA Summer Finale “Jeans & Sneak A’Ball Yawll” – The Lovebug, MasterDon , Theodore, Darryl C, the Boogie Boys (B&W)
3. December 25, 1981 - Martin Van Buren HS - It's the Fly Girl Celebrational Christmas High School Extravaganza - Treacherous 3, Sweety G, The Boogie Boys, Lonny Wood (Phase2), Busy Bee and Grand Wizard Theodore (B&W)
4. January 30, 1982 - Riis Center - A Mike & Dave Production featuring the Boogie Boys and Sweety G with Master Don and the Death Committee (yellow)
5. December 4, 1982 - Martin Van Buren HS - NYC Great M.C. Showdown - A Mike & Dave Production - "The Rapperteers" (Kool G Rap's first group), hosted by Mr. Sweety G. (pink)
6. December 24, 1982 - Skatin' Palace - The 2nd Hip Hop Anniversary Celebrating Those Funk Filled Years of Hip Hoppin - Featuring Treacherous 3, Fearless 4 (B&W)
7. April 18, 1981 - Mitchell Center - Funkdown '81 - Kool DJ AJ, Busy Bee, Bambaataa, Jazzy Jay, Red Alert & Crew with the Mean Machine and The Crash Crew (green)
8. May 24, 1981 - Harlem World - Treacherous 3 Anniversary - Treacherous 3, Cold Crush Bros, Lovebug Starski, Kool DJ AJ and Busy Bee (B&W)
9. February 20, 1983 - Jamaica Rollerdome - A Mike and Dave Production - 1st Annual Rappers Awards- Treacherous 3, Crash Crew and MC Sweety G (pale pink?)
10. November 19, 1982 - Olympia Palace - A Mike and Dave Production - Super Big Bad High School & College Throwdown with Treacherous 3, Crash Crew and Mr Sweety G (pink)
Phase 2, an Aerosol Art Innovator, Is Dead at 64