COLLECTION OF 12 EARLY HIP HOP FLYERS DESIGNED BY BUDDY ESQUIRE, RANGING IN DATE FROM 1979-1983.
Original paper handbills, ranging in size from 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in. to 8 1/2 x 11 in., on green, yellow, beige, pink, white and blue paper. A couple creased where previously folded, a few small faint spots of soiling and or toning, but overall in excellent condition.
THE KING OF HIP HOP FLYERS
Buddy Esquire, was a prolific handbill artist in the South Bronx during the early days of Hip Hop. Over a 5-year period, he designed over 300 flyers, which were given out in the neighborhood to advertise parties. His style, which he referred to as "neo-deco" was very distinctive and instantly recognizable, borrowing heavily from Art Deco movie poster designs. Hip Hop flyers such as these are some of the best primary sources for documenting the nascent Hip Hop movement. Packed with information, they record early fashion, the party scene, and give us the ability to trace the early evolution the careers of numerous artists; because they were only intended for short time use, very few have survived intact.
1. Christmas, 1979 – Galaxy – Brothers Disco -DJs Breakout & Baron, The Funky 4 Plus 1 (green, trimmed)
2. February, 1979 - 3rd Ave. Ballroom - Sweethearts Ball - Brothers Disco- DJs Breakout & DJ Baron (pink)
3. Friday, February 18, 1979 –Salem Community Center - Georgie Porgie Affair – Brothers Disco -DJs Breakout & DJ Baron, the Funky Four 4 Plus 1 (B&W)
4. February 8, 1980 – The Stardust Room – Brothers Disco -DJs Breakout & Baron, The Funky 4 Plus 1, Spoony Gee, Sweet Gee (yellow).
5. Saturday, February 23, 1980 - Ecstasy Garage Disco – Tribute to the “King Of The Flyer” Buddy Esquire - Brothers Disco -DJs Breakout & DJ Baron (B&W) Friday,
6. February 1, 1980 – The Celebrity Club Harlem - Brothers Disco -DJs Breakout & Baron, The Funky 4 Plus 1 (B&W)
7. Saturday, March 28, 1981 – Walton HS – Kool DJ AJ Show – Busy Bee, Treacherous 3, Cold Crush Brothers, Super 3 MCs – (B&W, oversized, printed both sides).
8. Friday, June 12, 1981 – Morris H.S. - Super Summer Concert, Morris HS – Treacherous 3, Kool D.J. A.J., Charlie Chase & Tony Tone, T-Ski Valley (blue)
9. Saturday, April 4, 1981 – Ecstasy Garage Disco – Mean-Gene’s 1st Anniversary – Grand Wizard Theodore, Power Sounds, Kool Dee, Tyrone the Mixologist (B&W)
10. Sunday, February 20, 1983 – Skatin’ Palace – DJ Afrika Bambaataa and Soulsonic Force, Rockmaster Scott, Dynamic 3, Kid Gee and DJ Diamond-T as Special Guest (B&W)
11. Saturday, April 2, 1983 - Medgar Evers College – A Pre-Easter Jam! “A Toga-Thon” - Funky Four, DJ Whiz Kid, Crush City Crew, DJ Sargski, DJ Shamrock (yellow)
12. Saturday, August 8, 1981 – Mosque Roller Rink – Grand Master Flash and Furious 5 M.C.s, DJ Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Jazzy Jay, Soulsonic Force, Cold Crush Brothers (yellow)