This summer, Sotheby’s is delighted to present a group exceptional works from the British Airways Collection. Across seventeen paintings, prints and works on paper, the collection showcases some of the very best talent to emerge from Britain in the second half of the last century including: Bridget Riley, Damien Hirst, Marc Quinn and Peter Doig.
The collection is led by the pioneering British female artist, Bridget Riley. Cool Edge from 1982 is one of the finest examples of the artist’s stripe paintings from the 1980s and will be a highlight of Sotheby’s London cross-category Evening Sale, Rembrandt to Richter, on July 28th. A further seven works by Riley will offered in the Modern & Post War British Art Day Sale (20-30 July). Other highlights include two important paintings by Terry Frost and a marvelous gouache by Patrick Heron – two of the most significant British painters of the post-War era, inspired by the light and colour of Cornwall, where both of them made their homes.
“More than anything else I want my paintings to exist on their own terms. That is to say they must stealthily engage and disarm you. There the paintings hang, deceptively simple – telling no tales as it were – resisting, in a well-behaved way, all attempts to be questioned, probed or stared at and then, for those with open eyes, serenely disclosing some intimations of the splendours to which pure sight alone has the key.”
Works by Bridget Riley
- Patrick Heron, "Scarlet and Bordeaux in Cobalt : September 16th : 1975", Estimate £10,000–15,000
- George Shaw, "Scenes From The Passion: The Path In", Estimate £10,000–15,000
- Bridget Riley, "Untitled (Elongated Triangles 2)" (S. 11) Estimate £4,000–6,000
- Bridget Riley, "Untitled (Elongated Triangles 4)" (S. 12) Estimate £4,000–6,000
- Bridget Riley, "Untitled (Elongated Triangles 1)" (S. 10) Estimate £4,000–6,000
- Bridget Riley, "Untitled (Elongated Triangles 5)" (S. 13) Estimate £4,000–6,000
- Bridget Riley, "Untitled (Elongated Triangles 6)" (S. 14) Estimate £4,000–6,000
- Sir Terry Frost, R.A, "Colour Down The Side", Estimate £20,000–30,000
- Bridget Riley, "Cool Edge", Estimate £800,000–1,200,000
- George Shaw, "Scenes From the Passion: Ash Wednesday", Estimate £10,000–15,000