187
前往
前往

拍品詳情

驚鴻一瞥:克里斯托弗·科內及史丹利·J·西格的鄉間別墅收藏

|
倫敦

Anonymous Signmaker, early 20th century
OPTICIANS SIGN FOR HILLS SHOP
carved giltwood, glass and painted paper, together with a black and white photograph of the Hills shop front circa 1920
giltwood
122 by 31cm., 48 by 12¼in.
Made circa 1900-20.
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

來源

Probably acquired by Edward (Percy) Hills (1874-1939)
thence by descent
until sold June 2000

相關資料

The clock, watch and jewellery business of Hills was established at 74 Friars Street, Sudbury, Suffolk in 1831 by Benjamin Hills (1807-1859), the only surviving son of a Quaker yeoman. The business remained in the same family and in the same building until 2000 and, from the outset, had supplied ‘spectacles to suit all sights’. It is most likely that it was Benjamin’s grandson, Edward (Percy) Hills (1874-1939) who obtained the opticians trade sign in around 1920 and had it mounted on the front of his shop. Percy’s son, Harry Raymond (Ray) Hills (1903-1983) joined his father in partnership and was not only a qualified watchmaker and Fellow of the British Horological Institute but also a qualified optician and a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers. The sign remained on the building until 1938 after which it was kept inside.

驚鴻一瞥:克里斯托弗·科內及史丹利·J·西格的鄉間別墅收藏

|
倫敦