Master of the Christ Church Coronation
ACTIVE IN TUSCANY IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE 14TH CENTURY
THE MADONNA AND CHILD ENTHRONED BETWEEN SAINTS JOHN THE BAPTIST AND CLEMENT, WITH TWO ANGELS, IN THE PINNACLE ABOVE THE FIGURE OF CHRIST
tempera on panel, gold ground, arched top
main panel, painted surface: 127 x 72 cm.; 50 x 28 1/4 in.
overall (with frame): 173.5 x 81.5 cm.; 68 1/4 x 32 1/8 in.
Probably commisioned from the artist by one of the Capitani of the Church of Orsanmichele in Florence (see note below);
Purchased in 1872 or 1873 in Edinburgh by James Reddie Anderson (b. 1854) of Keswick, Cumberland;
Upon whose death sold by order of his daughter, London, Sotheby's, 4 April 1948, lot 123, where offered as 'Florentine School, about 1360', as a triptych, the two dispersed wings depicting Saints Catherine and Lucy, and Saints Lawrence and James the Greater;
Private collection, Italy;
Acquired by the father of the present owner;
Thence by descent.
M. Boskovits, Pittura Fiorentina alla vigilia del Rinascimento 1370–1400, Florence 1975, p. 212, reproduced fig. 156;
C. Scalella, 'Contributi alla pittura fiorentina del secondo Trecento: il "Maestro dell'Incoronazione della Christ Church Gallery"', in Arte cristiana, 2001, 89, p. 121, reproduced p. 128, pl. 15b.