About the Museum
The Dordrechts Museum was founded in 1842 when a group of five prominent collectors from the area decided to create a Museum of Paintings that would bring greater recognition for "the talents of the living masters." Chairman of the Association, and Mayor of Dordrecht, the Honourable J. C. Jantzon van Erffrenten van Capelle, commissioned a work that would become the first in the museum's collection: View on the Rhine by Willem de Klerk. Other patrons soon followed suit, and the Association soon counted 113 members. Today the museum is still known for its collection of works by regional artists of the last 400 years.
(Photos courtesy of Dordrechts Museum.)