S otheby’s Wine is proud to offer an extraordinary single-owner collection this Spring, The Majestic Cellar: Monumental Wines from an Esteemed Philanthropist, a stunning collection of the great wines of the world, amassed by a discerning and passionate collector. The sale opens with ten consecutive lots from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti in the iconic 1990 vintage, headlined by a 3-pack original wooden case of La Tâche in the remarkably rare Jeroboam format. Leroy and Méo-Camuzet follow before the focus shifts to Bordeaux where it remains for the ensuing 80 lots. Lafite, Margaux, Mouton and Latour abound in formats ranging from half bottle to magnum and vintages 1955 - 2010, with a special focus placed on the exceptional 1982, 1986, 1989 and 1990. The sale closes as it began, with Burgundy, led by impressive verticals from Louis Latour in vintages 1999 - 2011 and vineyards Montrachet, Batard Montrachet, Chevalier Montrachet and Corton Charlemagne and is punctuated by Bouchard, Leflaive, Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey, Mugnier and much more. Proceeds from this auction will benefit charitable causes, building upon the philanthropic legacy this collector leaves behind.
For this sale, we are delighted to offer free consolidated shipping to Hong Kong. Please contact the post sale department for more information.
Excel Lot Listing
The Collector: This incredible collection was amassed over decades, with a focus placed on the great wines of the world and in the greatest modern vintages, the heart of it centered around the monolithic 1990. An intellectual collection, focused and purposeful, it speaks to the qualities of the man who assembled it and the legacy he leaves behind.
The Wines: The great majority of these wines were acquired through reputable auction houses and wine merchants.
The Cellars: The wine in this sale was collected from two separate, purpose-built residential cellars located in the Northeast. Both cellars have a sophisticated alarm system to alert for any fluctuations in temperature or humidity–a testament to the collector’s attention to every detail in the care of this collection.
Inspection and Shipping: Each bottle in the sale was inspected, packed and cataloged by a Sotheby’s Wine Specialist, before being transported to our warehouse on a temperature-controlled truck.
Navigating the Sale
Lots 1 & 2: La Tâche 1990 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti
"Utterly voluptuous. A giant wine of extreme splendour and total intensity. Extraordinary depth and layers. Well, it is supreme and so beautiful that the room was speechless."
SERENA SUTCLIFFE, MW
- Château La Mission Haut-Brion 1990 (12 BT)
- Dom Pérignon, Rosé 1990 (1 MAG)
- Château Latour 1990 (12 BT)
- Charles Heidsieck, Brut 1990 (5 MAG)
- Château Pichon Longueville, Lalande 1990 (12 BT)
- Château Lafite 1990 (12 HB)
- Château Lafite 1990 (12 BT)
- La Tâche 1990 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti (3 JM30)
- Romanée Conti 1990 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti (1 BT)
- Château Cos d'Estournel 1990 (7 BT)
- Château Margaux 1990 (12 BT)
- Château Margaux 1990 (20 HB)
Selected Sale Highlights
- Château Cos d'Estournel 1982 (12 BT)
- Château Ducru Beaucaillou 1982 (12 BT)
- Château Cheval Blanc 1982 (4 BT)
- Château Margaux 1982 (12 BT)
- Château Lafite 1982 (12 BT)
- Château Haut Brion 1982 (10 BT)
- Château Mouton Rothschild 1982 (12 BT)
- Château Latour 1982 (12 BT)
- Château La Mission Haut-Brion 1982 (2 BT)
- Château Léoville Las Cases 1982 (12 BT)
- Château Gruaud Larose 1982 (5 BT)