A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome
Property from the Collection of David and Louise Carter
Hendrick Verschuring

A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome

22 January 2021 • New York

A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome
A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome
A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome
A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome
A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome
551

Hendrick Verschuring

A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome

Estimate:

15,000 - 20,000 USD

Property from the Collection of David and Louise Carter

Hendrick Verschuring

Hendrick Verschuring

A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome

A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome

Estimate:

15,000 - 20,000 USD

Lot closes:

Lot closes:

12 days, 14 hours

12 days, 14 hours

January 30, 03:51 PM (GMT)

January 30, 03:51 PM (GMT)

Description

Property from the Collection of David and Louise Carter

Hendrick Verschuring

Gorinchem 1627 - 1690 Dordrecht

A musical party at the Church of S. Trinità dei Monti, Rome


signed on the pillar center left: H.VERSCHURING / FECIT 

oil on canvas

canvas: 22 by 17 1/2 in.; 55.9 by 44.5 cm.

framed: 31 by 26 1/2 in.; 78.7 by 67.3 cm.

Provenance

With Schaeffer Galleries, New York (as attributed to Jan Baptist Weenix);
From whom acquired.

Exhibited

South Hadley, Mount Holyoke College Museum of Art, Sites and Sensibilities: Views of Rome 1500 - 1992, 1 September - 8 November 1992.

Catalogue note

Born in Gorinchem and trained in Utrecht under Jan Both, Hendrick Verschuring spent over a decade in Italy, first in Rome where he drew sites of interest and then in Venice where his work was in demand. Verschuring evidently altered the composition of this scene in front of the Church of Santa Trinità dei Monte, as a prominent pentimento of an equestrian statue next to the obelisk at center attests. He also incorporated his signature as an engraved inscription on the stone pillar on the left edge to emphasize his firsthand experience of Roman topography and life.