View full screen - View 1 of Lot 107. A VICTORIAN GILT-BRONZE MOUNTED EBONY AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE, MID-19TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY SUPPLIED BY EDWARD HOLMES BALDOCK.
107

A VICTORIAN GILT-BRONZE MOUNTED EBONY AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE, MID-19TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY SUPPLIED BY EDWARD HOLMES BALDOCK

A VICTORIAN GILT-BRONZE MOUNTED EBONY AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE, MID-19TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY SUPPLIED BY EDWARD HOLMES BALDOCK

A VICTORIAN GILT-BRONZE MOUNTED EBONY AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE, MID-19TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY SUPPLIED BY EDWARD HOLMES BALDOCK

A VICTORIAN GILT-BRONZE MOUNTED EBONY AND MARQUETRY CENTRE TABLE, MID-19TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY SUPPLIED BY EDWARD HOLMES BALDOCK


the quarter-veneered ebony top profusely inlaid with flowers, birds, butterflies and grotesque masks, on three gilt-bronze dolphins centred around gilt-bronze mounted finial, the tri-form plinth base on concealed castors

82.5cm. high, 150cm. diameter; 2ft. 6¼in., 4ft. 11in.


To view Shipping Calculator, please click here

In overall reasonable restored condition. Exhibition quality with immaculate provenance. The top with old interval shrinkage cracks some of which have been well repaired. 2x3in. replacement patch to ebony veneer along one crack, another 1x3in repair patch and a further heart shaped repair. The marquetry finely executed with nice engraving. Some interval cracks to veneers on frieze and old repairs to moulding. The platform stretcher with some very minor interval cracks and some old chips and repairs to the marquetry frieze. Overall a very attractive table.

 

With further research, it could be demonstrated that this table was indeed supplied to the Rothschilds by Edward Holmes Baldock (1777-1845). The finely worked marquetry and the exuberant gilt-bronze mounts are all hallmarks of Baldock’s taste. In the Mentmore sale, a marquetry gueridon table branded EHB was sold, therefore underlining a connection between Mentmore, the Rothschilds and Baldock. Interestingly, there is a centre table with a gilt-bronze dolphin base supplied by Baldock in 1837 to George Granville, 2nd Duke of Sutherland at Stafford House, now Lancaster House (see James Yorker, Lancaster House, London, 2001, p. 147, pl. 96). Baldock also supplied a set of four porcelain dishes with similar dolphin mounts to the Duke of Buccleuch in 1830 (see Geoffrey de Bellaigue, “Edward Holmes Baldock, Part II”, The Connoisseur, September 1979, p. 19, fig. I).


The lot is sold in the condition it is in at the time of sale. The condition report is provided to assist you with assessing the condition of the lot and is for guidance only. Any reference to condition in the condition report for the lot does not amount to a full description of condition. The images of the lot form part of the condition report for the lot. Certain images of the lot provided online may not accurately reflect the actual condition of the lot. In particular, the online images may represent colors and shades which are different to the lot's actual color and shades. The condition report for the lot may make reference to particular imperfections of the lot but you should note that the lot may have other faults not expressly referred to in the condition report for the lot or shown in the online images of the lot. The condition report may not refer to all faults, restoration, alteration or adaptation. The condition report is a statement of opinion only. For that reason, the condition report is not an alternative to taking your own professional advice regarding the condition of the lot. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS ONLINE CONDITION REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF SALE/BUSINESS APPLICABLE TO THE RESPECTIVE SALE.

Probably acquired by Baron Mayer Amschel de Rothschild (1818 –1874), Mentmore, Buckinghamshire;

Thence by descent to Hannah de Rothschild, later Countess of Rosebery (1851 – 1890), Mentmore, Buckinghamshire;

Thence by descent until sold Sotheby's London, Mentmore, 18 May 1977, lot 100 (£5,000).

Christopher Payne, European Furniture of the 19th century, 1981, p.224.