THE PROPERTY OF A EUROPEAN LADY
KATSUSHIKA HOKUSAI (1760–1849), EDO PERIOD, 19TH CENTURY
SHOWER BELOW THE SUMMIT (SANKA HAKU-U)
woodblock print: ink and colour on paper, from the series Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji (Fugaku sanjūrokkei), signed Hokusai aratame Iitsu hitsu, published by Nishimuraya Yohachi (Eijudô), circa 1831
25 x 35.6 cm., 9⅞ x 14 in.
- As can be seen in the illustration, there is slight creasing to the top edge and an area of restoration to the left-hand side of Mt. Fuji. There is another area as indicated in the illustration to the right-hand side of Mt. Fuji.
- There is a very small tear to the top right-hand corner.
- There are small paper nicks to the right-hand edge.
- There is an area restoration to the red above the lighting flash.
- There is evidence of the centrefold, which has been repaired.
"In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Sotheby's is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue.
NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE."
Similar examples are in various museum collections including the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, accession no. 11.25222, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, accession no. JP2567, and the British Museum, accession no. 1906,1220,0.526.