80
JUMP TO LOT
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

Breguet et Fils
A FINE AND SMALL GOLD AND ENAMEL QUARTER REPEATING JUMP HOUR 'MONTRE MÉDAILLON' DELIVERED TO "LA MAISON DE RUSSIE" CIRCA 1810, NO. 2431
Movement: gilded bar, ruby cylinder, three-arm plain gold balance with parachute, single polished steel hammer striking an intermediate block against a coiled gong
Dial: silver engine-turned dial, satin finished chapter ring with Roman numerals,  blued steel moon hands, the hour hand advancing/jumping a full hour division each hour, signed Breguet et fils, with secret signature and numbered either side of 12 o'clock
Case: 18ct gold, the back with later added (c.1827-1834) black champlevé enamel decoration heightened with gold scrolling flowers and foliage and centred with champlevé and polychrome enamel painted arms of Princess Marie Narychkine (1779-1854), polished gold detachable cuvette secured with a screw and with apertures for winding, hand-set and regulation, case bezels and border of cuvette with fine engine turning à grains d'orge, the pendant with pull-twist plunger for repetition, cuvette signed and numbered Breguet no.2431, inside case back stamped 'R' and numbered 503
diameter 35mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Antiquorum Geneva, The Art of Breguet, 14 April 1991, lot 48

Literature

George Daniels, The Art of Breguet, 1975, pp.212-213, figs. 218a-d

Catalogue Note

Accompanied by a Certificate from Breguet dated 26 August 2019 recording its sale on 23 April 1810 for 3,600 Francs.

This watch was included in 'The Art of Breguet' auction held at Antiquorum in 1991. At the time of its inculsion, research carried out using the manufacturing records and repair books held at Breguet revealed its early history. The records noted that this watch was returned for overhaul on 17th November 1825 at the request of General Brosin. On 20 November 1827, the watch was returned once again by Princess Narychkine whom the books confirmed as the owner of the watch. At that time the case back of the watch was recorded as being of engine-turned gold. However, on 14 July 1834, following correspondence sent from General Brosin in Geneva, the watch was sent to Breguet for overhaul by Bautte & Cie of Geneva and the enamel case back was mentioned in the records at that time. It is possible that the champlevé enamel decorated case back was executed at the request of the Narychkine family perhaps by Bautte & Cie in Geneva. The Breguet certificate accompanying the watch, dated 26 August 2019, notes that the arms of Princess Narychkine were added to the watch at an unknown date between 1827 and 1834. Breguet's final entry relating to the watch is dated 2 June 1853 for the account of Monsieur Narychkine and notes delivery of the watch by Monsieur Schouvaloff.

Marie Narychkine (1779-1854) was born Princess Maria Czetwertyńska-Światopełk. In 1795 she married Dimitry Lvovich Naryshkin and, with her husband's approval, in 1799 became mistress to Alexander, later Tsar Alexander I of Russia. Maria Naryshkina and the Tsar had at least 4 illegitimate children together.  

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva