46
JUMP TO LOT
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

J. Naumann, Dresden
A FINE GOLD AND RED AGATE MOUNTED SINGLE CASED VERGE WATCH WITH MATCHING CHATELAINE CIRCA 1750, NO.384
Movement: gilded full plate, verge escapement, plain flat three-arm balance, decoratively pierced balance bridge engraved with scrolling foliage, silver regulation plate, turned pillars, fusee and chain, signed and numbered J. Naumann à Dresde, 384
Dial: white enamel, Roman numerals, outer Arabic minute ring, paste-set filigree hands, aperture for winding, signed J. Naumann à Dresde
Case: gold mounted agate, the back set with a polished agate centred with matt engraved cameo depicting a floral bouquet within shell borders, gold wave-form chased and engraved mounts, the front bezel with four further panels of polished and engraved red agate, garnet-set thumb-piece
Chatelaine: composed of three similarly decorated agate panels each centred with a cameo depicting classical putti, each mounted within gold cartouches chased with scrolls, flowers and foliage, two pendant chains of similar form terminating to one side with a key mounted with a carved agate head, to the other an agate seal engraved with a head and mounted with a carved agate bust of a lady, the chatelaine backed with gilt-metal panels and pendant hook
diameter 41mm, length overall 180mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Catalogue Note

In his book Meister der Uhrmacherkunst (1977, p.450) J. Abeler lists two J. Naumann's as active in Dresden in the mid 18th century. One, Johann Friedrich Naumann from Dresden who was made a Master in 1744, is noted by the author with an example of his work described as a chatelaine watch with engraved agates that was sold at auction in 1971. 

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva