GRAUPNER, BERLIN | A RARE GOLD AND RUBY RED GLASS MOUNTED SINGLE CASED VERGE WATCH WITH MATCHING CHATELAINECIRCA 1750, NO.197
15,000 - 25,000 CHF
bidding is closed
- A RARE GOLD AND RUBY RED GLASS MOUNTED SINGLE CASED VERGE WATCH WITH MATCHING CHATELAINECIRCA 1750, NO.197
- width 50mm, length overall 190mm
• Movement: gilded full plate, verge escapement, plain flat three-arm balance, decoratively pierced balance bridge engraved with scrolling flowers and foliage, silver regulation plate, baluster pillars, fusee and chain, signed and numbered Graupner, Berlin, 197• Dial: white enamel, Roman numerals, outer Arabic minute ring, gilt filigree hands, aperture for winding, signed and numbered Graupner, Berlin• Case: the back and bezel of gold mounted red glass, diamond-set thumb-piece• Chatelaine: composed of three ruby red glass panels, each mounted within gold cartouches chased with scrolls and flowers, two similarly decorated pendant chains terminating to one side with a red glass mounted key and to the other in a red glass bonbonnière, the chatelaine backed with gilt-metal panels and pendant hook
Christie's Geneva, 13 May 1981, lot 250
Red glass, often referred to as Kunckel glass, was highly prized during the 18th century. Born in Rendsburg, Johann Kunckel von Löwenstjern (1630-1703) was a German chemist whose father was alchemist to the Court of Hollstein. Kunckel became chemist and apothecary to the Dukes of Lauenbeurg and to the Elector of Saxony who put him in charge of the Royal laboratory and glassworks at Brandenburg. Kunckel shared with Robert Boyle, the distinguished English chemist, the discovery of a process to make artificial ruby (red glass). The watchmaker Graupner is listed by Abeler in Meister der Uhrmacherkunst, 1977, p. 221. For a watch by another German maker, signed Stalpp, Dresde, also with ruby red glass case, see: Sotheby's London, 26 February 1998, lot 48.