David Rochat (1746-1812) of Le Brassus in the vallée du Joux worked at the end of the 18th
century with his three sons Jacques François Elisée (1771-1836), David Henri Frédéric (1774-1848) and Henri Samuel (1777-1854), supplying the firm of Jaquet-Droz & Leschot with singing bird parts and also spending some time at Frédéric Leschot’s workshop in Geneva. The brothers then set up an independent business in Geneva and subsequently with other members of the extended family to produce singing bird movements of the highest quality. As with Leschot, their casemaker of choice was Jean-George Rémond (Hanau 1752- Hanau 1830) who during his long career in Geneva registered his last firm, Rémond, Lamy, Mercier & Co., in 1811. For further information about Rémond, see Haydn Williams ed., Enamels of the World - The Khalili Collections,
London, 2009, pp. 295-301.
The present lot is illustrated in Bailly, S. & Bailly, C., Flights of Fancy, p. 238, however, it is incorrectly identified as part of the collection of Musée d'horlogerie, Chateau des Monts, Le Locle, rather than the present private collection.
For a similar example, see Friess, P., Patek Philippe Museum, the Emergence of the Portable Watch, Vol.IV, p. 117.