33

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

Adolf Schneider, Glashütte & Dresden
A GOLD HUNTING CASED KEYLESS LEVER WATCH CIRCA 1870, NO. 1725
Movement: gilded ¾ plate, gold lever and escape wheel, bi-metallic 'chronometer' compensation balance, 15 jewels, ruby endstone, signed and numbered A. Schneider, Dresden, no.1725
Dial: white enamel, Roman numerals, outer minute ring, sunken subsidiary seconds, blued steel hands, signed Adolf Schneider, Glashütte B/Dresden
Case: 18ct gold, engine-turned covers, the front with blank cartouche to the centre, pusher for handset beside pendant, gold cuvette signed Adolf Schneider, Glashütte,
engraved Chronometer-Unruhe 
with floral garlands above
diameter 49mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Literature

Reinhard Meis, A. Lange & Söhne Watchmakers of Dresden Vol II, 2012, p.178, figs.452-454

Catalogue Note

Adolf Schneider, along with Adolf Lange, Julius Assmann, and Moritz Grossman, is considered one of the founding members of the Glashütte watchmaking industry. Adolf Schneider, like Adolf Lange, was apprenticed to Gutkaes in 1841, and moved to Glashütte with Lange to establish the town's first watch manufacture.  Schneider left Lange and began his own watch manufacture in 1851. Schneider's most famous watch was made for King Ludwig II, lot 126 in this sale. For a further note on Schneider's work with Lange, see lot 126 in this sale.

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva