25
JUMP TO LOT
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte
A FINE PINK GOLD OPEN-FACED KEYLESS LEVER WATCH WITH DEAD CENTRE SECONDS CIRCA 1906, NO. 45294
Movement: 1a quality, cal. 43 gilded ⅔ plate, gold lever and escape wheel, bi-metallic compensation balance, diamond endstone, swan-neck regulation, the dead-seconds work partially visible mounted to the backplate, signed and numbered A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte b/ Dresden, no.45294 
Dial: white enamel with sunken centre, Arabic numerals, recessed subsidiary seconds, outer ring for minutes/dead centre seconds, gold filigree hands, signed A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte B/ Dresden, no.45294  
Case: "Lucia" 18ct pink gold, polished back and bezel, pusher through crown to start/stop dead centre seconds hand, plain gold polished cuvette, case back and cuvette signed and numbered A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte, 45294
Accompaniments: A. Lange & Söhne presentation case and original numbered certificate, spare glass and mainspring 

diameter 53.5mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Literature

Martin Huber, Die Uhren von A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte Sachsen, 1988 p.170
Martin Huber, DIe Lange Liste, 2000, p. 134, table 38

Catalogue Note

Accompanied by a certificate of origin from the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, Glashütte confirming the date of sale on 15th May 1906 to Heinrich Schlotthauber, Göttingen for 1800 Goldmarks.

A. Lange & Söhne produced watches with "seconde-morte" jumping seconds from 1867-1930. Adolf Lange designed the first iteration in 1867, which contained the mechanism powering the seconds between the plates. In 1877, the firm patented a design where they placed the mechanism above the backplate, as seen in the present lot. The company continued to make modifications to the bridge for the seconds-wheels and the release lever throughout the production period, and around 320 watches were fitted with this device.  

For other Lange dead second watches, see Meis, Watchmakers of Dresden Vol II, 2012, pp. 218-225, figs. 701-726.

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva