126
126
Adolf Schneider, Glashütte & Dresden
AN EXCEPTIONAL AND IMPRESSIVE GOLD, ENAMEL, ROCK CRYSTAL, DIAMOND- AND SAPPHIRE-SET KEYLESS LEVER PRESENTATION WATCH FOR KING LUDWIG II OF BAVARIA WITH HEAVY GOLD CHAIN AND FOB SEAL CIRCA 1885, NO. 2207
JUMP TO LOT
126
Adolf Schneider, Glashütte & Dresden
AN EXCEPTIONAL AND IMPRESSIVE GOLD, ENAMEL, ROCK CRYSTAL, DIAMOND- AND SAPPHIRE-SET KEYLESS LEVER PRESENTATION WATCH FOR KING LUDWIG II OF BAVARIA WITH HEAVY GOLD CHAIN AND FOB SEAL CIRCA 1885, NO. 2207
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

Adolf Schneider, Glashütte & Dresden
AN EXCEPTIONAL AND IMPRESSIVE GOLD, ENAMEL, ROCK CRYSTAL, DIAMOND- AND SAPPHIRE-SET KEYLESS LEVER PRESENTATION WATCH FOR KING LUDWIG II OF BAVARIA WITH HEAVY GOLD CHAIN AND FOB SEAL CIRCA 1885, NO. 2207
Movement: gilded three-quarter plate, gold lever, bi-metallic compensation balance, diamond endstone, signed A. Schneider, Dresden, No.2207
Dial: white enamel, Roman numerals, outer minute track, sunken subsidiary seconds dial, blued steel hands, signed Adolf Schneider, Dresden
Case: gold, the front with blue guilloché enamel, applied diamond-set royal monogram comprising an intertwined double 'L' beneath a diamond-set crown with red guilloché enamel centre, diamond-set border, the back with rock crystal panel reverse engraved/carved with a royal lion rampant bearing a sceptre and sword over the chequered shield of the Bavarian arms, all heightened with enamel paint in tones of gold, turquoise, red and silver, sapphire-set border, the pendant with elaborate diamond and sapphire-set bow, front cover numbered 207, all covers further numbered 75 within an oval cartouche, back cover and cuvette numbered 2207
Chain: heavy tapered multi-link chain, terminating in a large T-bar and fob seal with plain lapis lazuli panel mounted with a diamond and cabochon sapphire-set horseshoe surrounding a gold prancing horse
diameter 50mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Habsburg Feldman, Antiquorum St. Moritz, 25 February 1990, lot 260

Literature

Reinhard Meis, A. Lange  & Söhne, the Watchmakers of Dresden, 1997, p. 148, figs. 349-350
Martin Huber, Die Uhren von A. Lange & Söhne Glashütte Sachsen, 1988, p.41

Catalogue Note

The elaborate design of the present watch demonstrates the extravagant life which characterized Ludwig's reign. One side bears the Bavarian Arms featuring its Lion, the reverse set with King Ludwig’s diamond-set monogram. The chain, which graduates in thickness from the ends towards the centre is typical of those made for watches commissioned by Ludwig II.

Friedrich August Adolf Schneider (1824-1878) received his initial training at Dresden’s polytechnic school. In 1841 Schneider became apprenticed to Johann Friedrich Christian Gutkaes. While working under Gutkaes he was tutored by Adolf Lange. Lange and Schneider developed a lifelong friendship and working relationship. In 1845 Schneider accompanied Lange to Glashütte to set up the new manufacture.

Schneider's background at the polytechnic institute made him indispensable to Lange.  Along with serving as his chief foreman at the watchmaking factory, he helped Lange develop a curriculum for apprentices which included mechanics, mathematics, draftsmanship and even calligraphy. 
 
Schneider went on the marry Emma Gutkaes, the youngest daughter of his former master, and established his own company in Glashütte in 1851. At the beginning of his solo career, he specialised in producing key-wound watches, but transitioned to creating stem-wound pieces after Lange patented a stem-wind system in 1866. 

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva