118
118
Uhrenfabrik-Union, Glashütte in Sachsen
A VERY FINE GOLD AND NIELLO HUNTING CASED KEYLESS LEVER WATCH WITH ENGRAVED PROFESSOR GRAFF DECORATION  AND ENGRAVED PORTRAIT OF MINERVA CIRCA 1910, NO. 44056
JUMP TO LOT
118
Uhrenfabrik-Union, Glashütte in Sachsen
A VERY FINE GOLD AND NIELLO HUNTING CASED KEYLESS LEVER WATCH WITH ENGRAVED PROFESSOR GRAFF DECORATION  AND ENGRAVED PORTRAIT OF MINERVA CIRCA 1910, NO. 44056
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

Uhrenfabrik-Union, Glashütte in Sachsen
A VERY FINE GOLD AND NIELLO HUNTING CASED KEYLESS LEVER WATCH WITH ENGRAVED PROFESSOR GRAFF DECORATION  AND ENGRAVED PORTRAIT OF MINERVA CIRCA 1910, NO. 44056
Movement: 1a quality, gilded three-quarter plate, gold lever and escape wheel, jewels carried in screwed gold chatons, bi-metallic compensation balance, decoratively engraved balance cock with precision swan-neck regulation, diamond endstone, signed and numbered Glashütter Uhrenfabrik Union, no.44056
Dial: white enamel, Arabic numerals, outer minute track, sunken centre, recessed subsidiary seconds, gold Louis XV style hands, signed Uhrenfabrik Union Glashütte in Sachsen
Case: 14ct pink gold, Louis XV, highly decorated, chased and engraved on both sides with Professor Graff decoration, the front centred with a blank cartouche, the back centred with an engraved head of Minerva in profile, each of the central cartouches surrounded by cornucopia, a pair of doves above and a heart beneath, all against a niello ground, borders of flower heads, bezels, band, pendant and bow with repeated geometric chased and engraved motifs, plain polished gold cuvette, further glazed movement cover, hand-set lever beneath bezel at 4 o'clock, covers and cuvette signed Uhrenfabrik Union Glashütte bei Dresden, case back and cuvette numbered 44056, case front numbered 56
diameter 60.5mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Dr. H. Crott Auktionen, A. Lange & Söhne Glashütter Uhren, 27 April 1991, lot 102

Literature

Reinhard Meis, A. Lange & Söhne Watchmakers of Dresden Vol II, 2012, p.397, figs.1127-1129

Catalogue Note

During the reign of Wilhelm II, watches in oversized and highly decorated cases were tremendously popular; cases that were heavier, jewel-set and/or highly chased and engraved were especially sought after. Emil Lange recognized this trend and was responsible for leading the company forward in creating watches to meet this demand.

The engravings to the case of this watch are based on designs created by Professor Carl Ludwig Theodore Graff, (1844-1906,) Director of the Royal College of Arts and the Art Museum, Dresden. Graff's designs were based on Renaissance themes and featured a range of elements from fruit, vines, rams' heads, birds and ribbons to architectural motifs. One of Graff's 'signature' features was the head of Minerva which was frequently incorporated within a central cartouche by the highly skilled case decorators, either as a polychrome enamel painting or a chased and engraved roundel.

For examples of motifs and designs of Professor Graff see Reinhard Meis, A. Lange & Söhne The Watchmakers of Dresden, Vol. II, pp. 122-127, pls. 345-364.

 

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva