116

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte
A FINE AND UNUSUAL LADY'S PINK GOLD HALF-HUNTING CASED WATCH WITH RIBBED COVERS CIRCA 1882, NO. 15497
Movement: 1a quality, cal. 32.5 decoratively engraved German silver ⅔ plate, gold lever and escape wheel, bi-metallic compensation balance, decoratively engraved balance cock, diamond endstone, some jewels carried in gold screwed chatons, signed and numbered A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte b Dresden, 15497 
Dial: white enamel, Roman numerals, outer minute ring, sunken subsidiary seconds, blued steel hands, signed A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte B/Dresden
Case: 18ct pink gold, the covers with scallop-type ribbed decoration, similarly ribbed gold bow, front cover with glazed aperture surrounded by blue enamel Roman numerals and minute ring, back cover centred with a monogrammed cartouche, plain gold cuvette, pusher for hand-set to left of pendant, cuvette and back cover with case maker's mark CWS for Charles William Schumann and numbered 15497
diameter 40.5mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Antiquorum Geneva, 15 October, 1994, lot 424

Catalogue Note

Accompanied by a certificate of origin from the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, Glashütte confirming the date of sale on 26th August 1882 to Charles William Schumann, New York 145.-M (ebauche only).

A. Lange & Söhne introduced ladies' pocket watches in 1870 with movements of 37 mm in diameter and, later, in 1872 with 25 mm movements.  

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva