113
JUMP TO LOT
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva

A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte
A VERY FINE AND RARE LADY'S PINK GOLD HUNTING CASED MINUTE REPEATING KEYLESS LEVER WATCH CIRCA 1903, NO. 44484
Movement: 1a quality, 12''' cal. 28 damascened German silver ¾ plate, gold lever and escape wheel, some jewels carried in screwed gold chatons, bi-metallic compensation balance, decoratively engraved balance cock with swan-neck regulation, ruby end-stone, repeating on coiled gongs, signed and numbered A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte, no.44484
Dial: white enamel, Arabic numerals, sunken centre, black outer minute ring, gold Louis XV style hands, sunken subsidiary seconds, signed A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte
Case: "Lucia" polished 18ct pink gold, the cover with monogram, plain polished gold cuvette, lever for hand-set beneath bezel at 4 o'clock, covers and cuvette signed A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte, back cover and cuvette numbered 44484, front numbered 84  
diameter 36.5mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Sotheby's Geneva, 14 May 1991, lot 490

Catalogue Note

Accompanied by a certificate of origin from the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, Glashütte confirming the date of sale on 23rd September 1903 to Marschall Field & Co., Chemnitz for 1240. -M. 

The present lot, no.44484 was incorrectly listed in the sales book records as a quarter repeater, however the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum states that the firm’s workbook records confirm that it is a minute repeater.

The earliest recorded ladies' watch with a repeating mechanism from the firm (a quarter repeater) dates to 1881. A modest number of ladies' repeaters were produced between 1881 and 1908, likely due to a limited demand. Lange produced only 41 quarter repeating  and eleven minute repeating ladies' watches.

Masterworks of Time: Adolf Lange, The Golden Era of Glashütte

|
Geneva