Inscribed with the signature Miró and numbered 1/4
Galerie Maeght, Paris
Pierre Matisse Gallery, New York
Alain Jouffroy & J. Teixidor, Miró Sculptures, Paris, 1980, no. 278, illustration of another cast p. 205
Emilio Fernández Miró & Pila Ortega Chapel, Joan Miró, Sculptures. Catalogue raisonné, 1928-1982, Paris, 2006, no. 318, illustration of another cast p. 301
Although from time to time Miró had worked with three-dimensional forms, it was not until the 1960s that he began to work consistently in bronze. His sculptures from the late 1960s onwards were often composed of assemblages of commonplace objects that "have an irrationality as total objects that endows them with a strongly equivocal, poetic presence" (M. Rowell, Miró, New York, 1970, p. 25).
According to the new catalogue raisonné by Emilio Fernández Miró and Pila Ortega Chapel, the present bronze was cast by the lost-wax process at the Susse Foundry in Arcueil. It is one of four casts that is signed and justified by the artist, and it is the first cast from that edition. After it was consigned to Miró's Paris dealer Galerie Maeght, it was later sent to his New York-based dealer, Pierre Matisse.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale