K.E. Steneberg, Kristinatidens måleri, dissertation, Lund 1955, pp. 180, 231, no. 15;
B. von Malmborg, in C. Nordenfalk (ed.), in Christina Queen of Sweden - a personality of European civilisation, exhibition catalogue, Stockholm 1966, p. 192, no. 381.
This is one of at least three recorded replicas of a presumed lost original, all painted in Bourdon's workshop in circa 1653. The others are in the Prado, Madrid and the Musée des Beaux-Arts, Béziers, and all were included in the Stockholm exhibition in 1966 (see Literature) as nos. 379-381. B. von Malmborg, writing in the catalogue of the Stockholm exhibition (see Literature), suggested that Bourdon had finished them himself, but that his assistant Theodor van der Schuur may have had a hand in them. A fourth replica, like the present work formerly in the possession of Dr. J.E. Rydemark and exhibited in Stockholm as no. 382, was commissioned by Queen Christina from Hendrick van Munnichoven.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.