the raised upper section with shaped three-quarter gallery and top centred by an etched ribbon-tied roundel depicting an artist`s palette with brushes and sketchbook, the upper pair of doors each with etched trophy medallion depicting a ribbon-tied musical trophy and a hunting trophy enclosing two banks of ten satin birch graduated collector`s drawers above open shelves, the sides with etched floral sprays, the serpentine lower section with a projecting top, veneered and inlaid with an urn medallion, above a pair of doors centred by oval purple heart veneered medallions of Neo-Classical Muses, one depicted with a harp, the other with a stag, the interior with three folio divsions, the sides each inlaid with an etched neo-classical urn flanked by projecting shaped front corners veneered in zebrawood, on splayed bracket feet divided by shaped front and side aprons, inlaid throughout with tulipwood bandings, with alterations and later inlay, top and bottom possibly associated
Arthur Sanderson (1846-1915), Learmont Terrace, Edinburgh, until sold Christie`s, 6th May 1915, lot 108. William Lever, Ist Viscount Leverhulme (1851-1925), Thornton Manor, Merseyside, acquired from D.L.Isaacs (invoice 7th June 1915, £40), thence by descent.
Arthur Sanderson was an Edinburgh distiller and wine merchant. His house in Learmont Terrace was decorated in different styles by Scott Morton to compliment the chronolgical sweep of his collection, an idea paralleled in William Lever`s use of `period rooms' at Thornton Manor, Merseyside. The Sanderson collection was dispersed in two sales in 1911 and 1915. The present cabinet was sold from the 1915 sale and later purchased by William Lever.
William Lever formed one of the most extensive collections of English furniture yet amassed, disributed between various locations, but predominantly at Thornton Manor and his London home, The Hill in Hampstead. The finest pieces are preserved in the Lady Lever Art Gallery which he formed in memory of his wife at Port Sunlight. The remainder of the collection, which was not sold in London and New York on his death in 1926, remained in the possession of the Lords Leverhulme until sold Sotheby`s , The Leverhulme Collection, Thornton Manor, Merseyside, 26-28 June 2001.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.