At least two further versions of this composition by König are recorded, all with small variations and unlike the present panel, on copper; one (20 x 29.5 cm.) in the Hessische Landesmuseum, Darmstadt, recorded as being signed and dated 1619;1 the second (19.5 x 28.6 cm.), formerly in the collection of Dr. Hinrich Bischoff, signed and dated 1624, was sold London, Sotheby's, 6 December 2006, lot 3. All three date from König's time in Augsburg. There is perhaps also a larger, lost version, evidence of which appears in an anonymous painting of circa 1645 of a gallery interior, the so-called Bronckorster Galeriebild, in the collection of the Fürsten zu Salm at Schloss Anholt.2
1 See G. Bott, Die Gemäldegalerie des Hessischen Landesmuseums in Darmstadt, Hanau 1968, p. 43, cat. no. 65, reproduced pl. 65.
2 See A.W. Vliegenthart, Bildersammlung der Fürsten zu Salm, Rhede 1981, p. 46, reproduced.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.