Emerald compact, Franco Cannilla for Masenza, 1950s
The circular compact of textured design, the open work top collet-set with circular-cut emeralds, opening to reveal a mirror and powder compartment, measuring approximately 82 x 80 x 19mm, signed Cannilla and Masenza, gross weight approximately 196 grams.
Mario Masenza (1913-1985) was heir to the jewellers who supplied the Italian Royal Family. In Rome, trading under the family name Masenza, their jewellery shop was founded in 1924. In the 1940s Mario Masenza established the 'School of Rome'. This group of artists including Franco Cannilla (1911 – 1985), Guerrini, Afro and Mirko Basaldella, adopted an experimental and creative approach to fashioning jewellery, fusing ancient metalwork techniques with contemporary aesthetics. Cannilla’s works from this period are distinguished by their highly textured and tactile quality, exemplified by the present lot.