Ingeniously what may at first appear a single blued steel hand with arrow-form head, is in fact in two parts. The ‘arrowhead’ indicates the hours upon the silver chapter ring (with Roman numerals) whilst the hand’s stem can be moved independently to set the alarm time against the Arabic numerals on the central, gilded, revolving dial. Advantageously, this system allows the stem and ‘arrowhead’ to be joined as one when the alarm is not being used, creating a simple and uncluttered design that clearly displays the time with one long hand. When this watch was part of the Time Museum collection and sold by Sotheby’s New York, in 2002, there was a hole in the alarm dial where the time of day arrow-head would have been. Now it has a later simple blued steel central double-ended hour hand which extends to the edge of the revolving dial. Thus, although the present hand and arrow-head are recent, they are beautifully made in the manner of the period and the maker’s original design has been restored.
In an article written for Antiquarian Horology [Vol. 24, No. 5, Sept 2000, p. 519] David Thompson notes that George Smith had settled in London before 1622. A petition of London clockmakers from 1622 notes that George Smith was an alien working ‘with two apprentices next to New Exchange’. George Smith was a petitioner for the incorporation of a Clockmakers’ Company and became a member of the Worshipful Company in 1632, he died in 1638-1639 [see op. cit.].
A similar alarm watch by George Smith was in the Percy Webster Collection, sold Sotheby's London, 27th May, 1954, lot 33; another with a royal badge, circa 1600, is in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.