by Louis Haghe for The Holy Land, Syria, Idumea, Egypt and Nubia, London 1849, vol. II, pl. 44 (with the above title) & 1856, vol. V, frontispiece
The temple of Rameses II, rediscovered for the West by Jacob Christoph Burckhardt in March 1813, was at the time of Roberts's visit almost completely obscured by sand. It was excavated by Giovanni Belzoni in 1817 but had to be cleared on several occasions during the nineteenth century. In 1964, when the rising waters of Lake Nasser threatened to submerge the temple, the entire complex was moved to higher ground.
We are very grateful to Briony Llewellyn for her help when cataloguing this lot.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.