An English chamber organ by Samuel Green, London, 1786
the case of mahogany with three panels of gold-painted display pipes (3, 19, 3), all backed with red silk, with decorative brass wirework at the corners of the central oval panel, the mahogany panels flanking the keyboard with holly stringing, the cornice with dentil moulding, the retractable keyboard, compass five octaves and one note, GG to f3 omitting GG sharp, with ivory naturals and ebony accidentals, ten hand stops inscribed as Fifteenth, Principal Treble, Principal Bass, Stop Diapason Treble and Stop Diapason Bass on the left side and Cornet Treble, Cornet Bass, Flute, Dulciana and Open Diapason on the right side, one pedal, later music desk, two articulated candle brackets, inscribed on a boxwood plaque above the keyboard Samuel Green London 1786
335cm. high, 211.5cm. wide, 108cm. deep; 11ft high, 6ft. 11 1/4 in. wide, 3ft. 6 1/2 in.
Possibly built for Sir George Cornewall, 2nd Bt. (1748-1819), for Moccas Court, Herefordshire, circa 1786;
moved to Dinmore Manor Chapel, Herefordshire, probably in the second half of the 19th century;
on loan at Croft Castle, Herefordshire, 2007-2019.
Michael Wilson, The English Chamber Organ, Oxford, 1968, pp. 73-4;
David Wickens, The Instruments of Samuel Green, Macmillan, 1987, pp. 126-7;
National Pipe Organ Register, online at http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=J00031