157

拍品詳情

The Neil & Gina Smith Collection

|
倫敦

A pair of Regency 21-inch Terrestrial and Celestial library globes by John & William Cary, dated 1816-1818
the Terrestrial globe with cartouche reading CARY'S / NEW / TERRESTRIAL GLOBE / EXHIBITING / The Tracks and Discoveries made by / CAPTAIN COOK: / Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the / NORTH WEST COAST of AMERICA; / and M. DE LAPEROUSE, on the COAST of TARTARY. / TOGETHER / With every other Imrpovement collected from / Various Navigators to the present time. / LONDON: / Made by J.&.W. Cary, & Sold by M. Berge, Piccadilly 1816, WITH ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS TO 1818, the Celestial globe with cartouche reading CARY'S / New and Improved / CELESTIAL GLOBE, / ON WHICH / Is carefully laid down, the whole of the / STARS AND NEBULAE, / Contained in the ASTRONOMICAL CATALOGUE, of the / Revd. Mr. WOLLASTON, F.R.S. / Compliled from the Authorities of / FLAMSTEED, DE LA CAILLE, HEVELIUS, MAYER / BRADLEY, HERSCHEL, MASKELYNE &c. / With an extensive number from the Works of Miss Herschel / The whole adapted to the Year 1800, and the / Limits of each Constellation determined / by a Boundary line. / LONDON: / Made by J.&.W. Cary, & Sold by M. Berge, Piccadilly 1816 on three inswept legs with castors, the original uncoloured engraved compass mounted between three turned stretchers, signed J. & W. CARY STRAND LONDON, with blued-iron needle and glazed cover
121cm. high; 3ft. 11½in.
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

來源

Acquired by the owners of the Holland America Line in 1921;
Thence by descent until sold Christie's Los Angeles, 17 October 2000, lot 38.

相關資料

The firm of Cary was established by John Cary ( c.1754-1835), a noted map-seller and engraver, and his brother William (c.1760-1825), an instrument maker. The firm published their first globes in 1791 and by the end of the eighteenth century had already established themselves as one of London`s most eminent globe manufacturers. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St James`s Street, leaving their premises at 181 Strand to John Cary`s two sons George ( c.1788-1859) and John Jr. ( 1791-1852) who traded as G & J Cary until about 1850 and continued to produce globes of the highest standards. Examples of the company`s work are illustrated in Elly Dekker and Peter van der Krogt, Globes from the Western World, 1993, pls. 33, 37, and 38.

The Neil & Gina Smith Collection

|
倫敦