The crests (a talbot sejant and a unicorn statant) are those of Portman of Orchard Portman, Somerset, for Edward Berkeley Portman (1771-1823) who was M.P. for Boroghbridge from 1802 to 1806 and for Dorset from 1806 until his death. He bequeathed to his son and successor, also Edward Berkeley Portman (1799-1888), estates in Dorset, Middlesex and Somerset as well as a fortune of £70,000. The son was married in 1827 to Lady Emma Lascelles, daughter of Henry Lascelles, 2nd Earl of Harewood, by whom he had four sons and two daughters. During his long political career, he served as Lord Lieutenant of Somerset from 1839 to 1864 and Lord Warden of the Stannaries from 1865 until his death. Portman was elevated to the peerage in 1837 as Baron Portman and then in 1873 as Viscount Portman. The Portman family, descendants of Sir William Portman (d. 1557), Lord Chief Justice to Henry VIII, has for many years developed and maintained the vast Portman Estate of over 100 acres north of London’s Oxford Street, including Portman Square and Manchester Square.
Various other items of Paul Storr/Rundell, Bridge & Rundell silver from the Portland collection have appeared at auction in recent years, including a six-light candelabrum centrepiece, 1818 (Christie’s, London, 27-28 November 2012, lot 810) and a meat dish and cover, respectively 1814 and 1818 (Christie’s, New York, 21 May 2013, lot 130). See also a pair of silver candlesticks, Parker & Wakelin, London, 1764, engraved with the arms of Henry William Portman (1737-1796), who was the elder Edward Berkeley Portman’s father (Christie’s, London, 29 November 2011, lot 386).