The maker's mark on these sticks has been ascribed to Dallington Ayres by David M. Mitchell, Silversmiths in Elizabethan and Stuart London, London, 2017, p. 268. The author further notes that one of Ayres's apprentices was Phillip Rollos.
Lambert's invoice (photocopy included) to the Earl of Rosebery dated 17 December 1886 describes these sticks as '4 very fine old English Silver Table Candlesticks Times James II, £126,' together with a letter from Lambert's to the Earl, which reads, '. . . we can place the four old English Candlesticks of James II date 1691 at your Lordship's disposal; the price is £126 which is a very low price for candlesticks of such an ancient date.'
The firm of Lambert & Co., retail goldsmith, silversmiths and jewellers of Coventry Street, Leicester Square, was established about 1803 by Francis Lambert (1780?-1741). As well as selling a wide range of new silver, Lambert’s became well known for its stock of antique and reproduction plate. In 1905, for instance, the 5th Earl of Rosebery purchased from Lambert’s a pair of Britannia standard silver in late 17th century style: ‘large square flat bases edged with gdrooning. . . baluster stems.’ (Sotheby’s, Mentmore, 23 May 1977, lot 1704) Lambert & Co. closed its Coventry Street premises in 1916 to be absorbed by Harman & Co. Ltd. The new firm, styled Harman & Lambert, had a shop in Old Bond Street, which closed about 1970.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.