Sir William Nicholson
signed with initial and dated 1908; indistinctly inscribed on the reverse
oil on canvasboard
33 by 41cm.; 13 by 16in.
Acquired directly from the Artist before 1933 by Major Arthur Clive Nicholson (1878-1961), and thence by descent to the previous owner
Their sale, Sotheby's London, 18th November 2014, lot 126, where acquired by the present owner
London, Chenil Gallery, circa 1908 (probably, details untraced);
Nottingham, Museum and Art Gallery, Retrospective Exhibition of Paintings by William Nicholson, 11th March - 20th April 1933, cat. no.3.
Lillian Browse, William Nicholson, Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1956, cat. no.52, p.44;
Patricia Reed, William Nicholson, Catalogue Raisonné of the Oil Paintings, Modern Art Press, London, 2011, cat. no.133, illustrated p.139.