with two letters from George Potter & Co. and a manuscript paper label now mounted on card (some losses)
Asking Price: $140,000
Where acquired by the present owner.
Received from Geo. Ricket Sergt. in the Volunteers residing at 50 Coley Place, Reading. The drum has been used on many special occasions in Reading. It was first the property of the Duke of Marlborough. He occupied Whiteknights Park near Reading and used this in his private band. Used for military purposes by the Woodley Troop of Berkshire Yeomanry...Capt. Montague about 60 years ago. Used...Reading celebration of passing of Reform Bill in 1832 when the people had dinner in the streets, also by the Reading Band at the first Temperance procession in Reading 50 years ago. Also at the Coronation of Her Majesty the Queen in 1838. At the peace celebrations after the Russian War in Crimea.
The 5th Duke of Marlborough, styled the Marquess of Blandford until his father’s death in 1817, resided at Whiteknights Park outside Reading from 1798, where he spent extravagantly on the gardens and on profligate entertainments. He eventually went bankrupt in 1819 and returned to live at his ancestral seat Blenheim Palace.
Henry Potter & Co. was founded in London in 1810 by the composer and Head Drum Major of the Coldstream Regiment Samuel Potter, named after his son who took over the business on his father’s death in 1836. Henry opened the firm’s celebrated shop in Charing Cross Road in 1858, and two years later his son George launched his own enterprise George Potter & Co. selling drums and military band wind instruments in the important garrison town of Aldershot, not far from Basingstoke. In 1918 the two family firms merged and flourished for many more decades; the London showroom closed in 1970 and the Aldershot shop ceased trading in 2007.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.