272

拍品詳情

The Fine Art Society: 142 Years on New Bond Street

|
倫敦

Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott
1865 - 1945
RARE AND IMPORTANT 'DAFFODIL' DRESSER
Produced by John P. White, The Pyghtle Works, Bedford, England
with retailer's ivory label attached to the reverse incised G.H. MORTON & SON, Ltd/BOLD STREET/LIVERPOOL
oak, painted wood, with beech inlay, bronze
167.5 by 170.5 by 58.5 cm.; 66 by 67 by 23in.
Executed circa 1901.
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

展覽

London, Fischer Fine Art ‚ Truth, Beauty and Design: Victorian, Edwardian and later Decorative Art, May-June, 1986
Cambridge, Kettle's Yard, Baillie Scott, Sept-Oct 1995
Cumbria, Blackwell Arts and Crafts House, The Lake District and beyond: Arts and Crafts Designs and Interiors by MH Baillie Scott and CFA Voysey, July-October, 2011

出版

Furniture made at the Pyghtle Works, Bedford by John P. White designed by M.H. Baillie Scott, Pyghtle Works sales catalogue, 1901, fig. 18 
J. Alfred Gotch, 'Modern Furniture', The Art Journal, January 1904, p. 133
Adrian J. Tilbrook and Fischer Fine Art Limited, Truth, Beauty and Design: Victorian, Edwardian and Later Decorative Art, exh. cat., Fischer Fine Art Limited, London, 1986, p. 66, fig. 163
The Fine Art Society Spring 1990, exh. cat, The Fine Art Society, London, 1990, illustrated p. 51, fig. 50

相關資料

Baillie Scott was the archetypal Arts and Crafts architect-designer. Born into a family of sheep farmers in Ramsgate, Kent, he trained at Cirencester Agricultural College before studying architecture. His country origins and love of nature were to inspire many of his greatest designs.
The present lot was made in the workshop of John P. White. Baille Scott began designing furniture for White in 1898 and the two eventually became close friends. In 1901, Baillie Scott and his family moved to Bedford, where White's workshop was located. The present lot is a superb example of Baillie Scott's furniture designed at the height of his career, dating to around the time he was creating his architectural masterpiece, Blackwell, near Windermere, which was completed in 1900.

The Fine Art Society: 142 Years on New Bond Street

|
倫敦