Northern Italian, Emilia, probably early 13th century
Pair of stylobate lions,
Verona marble ; each lion surmounted by a later white marble spiral column with pink marble capital
one lion bitten by a dragoon, the dragon's tail wrapped around the lion's proper left front leg; the other grasping a calf in his paws and with a bird on both side of its mane
Lions: 92 x 45 x 80 cm and 68 x 45 x 89 cm, column: 237 cm each overall; 36 1/4 x 17 3/4 x 31 1/2 in. and 26 3/4 x 17 3/4 x 35 in., column: 93 1/4 overall
Possibly from the private chapel of a villa, near Quattro Castella, Reggio Emilia;
purchased in Italy by Arthur de Schickler, before 1893.
F. Monmory, "Château de Martinvast. Restauration par M. E. Vacherot", in La Semaine des Constructeurs, Paris, no. 26, 16 December 1893, pp. 294-296; L. Castelnuovo-Tedesco, J. Soultanian, Italian Medieval Sculpture in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cloisters, New York, 2010, no. 26, pp. 114-117.