A silver-gilt and enamel singing bird timepiece, C.A. Marguerat, Swiss, circa 1925
the clock with gilt dial with Arabic numerals and small alarm-actuated dial within, behind domed glass front, the bezel and rectangular case in primrose-yellow guilloché enamel with painted floral motifs, flanked by two silver-gilt fluted columns on a rectangular base, the top inset with an oval lid, decorated with a view of the château de Chillon on Lake Geneva, lifting to present the feathered automaton trilling, dancing and flapping its wings, the sides engine-turned with garlands of roses, maker's mark CM, Swiss mark, further struck: 935, in fitted brown leather case with key.
Charles-Armand Marguerat (1887-1931) was born at Lutry near Lausanne but set up business in Geneva around 1914. From 1915-19 he styled himself as ‘fabricant de montres’ (watchmaker), working from 9 rue de Savoie. From about 1920 until his death in 1931 he moved to Avenue de la Gare des Eaux Vives 18, where he advertised the ‘Manufacture d'Oiseaux Chantants’. He is noted for rectangular boxes with a small round timepiece mounted on two pillars above the box, such as the present example. The clock mechanism can be set to trigger the bird box in the same way as an alarm, or the box may be played independently.
14.8cm., 9 1/4 in. high