Ernest Augustus visited London in the summer of 1843, 'grown very old and excessively thin.' Although he was fêted by society and welcomed by Queen Victoria, his behaviour was 'difficult,' particularly over his claim to his mother, the late Queen Charlotte's jewellery. One witness characterised him as "surly". He used the opportunity of his stay in London, however, to purchase plate in the latest style for his new residences.
It was in the year 1843 that Ernest Augustus founded the Ernst August-Fideikommiß to preserve his collections of objects of art, including the estates of his sister Auguste Sophie (1768-1840) and of his wife, Friederike (1778-1841). The aim was the 'Erhaltung des Glanzes Unserer Krone.'
All the objects of the Ernst August-Fideikommiß are listed in the inventory of 1855, drawn up after the death of the King, including the present centrepiece. In addition to this, the inventory includes a set of eight stands, of similar vine form, sold Sotheby's, Property from the Royal House of Hanover, 5th-15th October 2005, lot 2208.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.