The view looking up the river from Putney Bridge is also based on a Boydell engraving, this time of 1749. Another version is in the Museum of London: only the boats differ in the two scenes.1 On the left, the view shows the small village of Putney, already famous for its villas and orchards, with the 15th century tower of St. Mary's Church. This was rebuilt in 1836, with the original tower retained, but gutted by fire in 1973. A fragment of the first Putney Bridge, which connected Putney and Fulham, is to be seen on the extreme left. The wooden bridge, built in 1729 by Thomas Phillips, carpenter to George II, was the only one above London Bridge until the opening of Westminster Bridge in 1750, and therefore gave its proprietors a good income from its tolls until this date. It was replaced by a stone bridge in 1882–86.
1 See M. Galinou & J. Hayes, London in Paint, Oil paintings in the Collection at the Museum of London, London 1996, p. 78, cat. no. 24, reproduced.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.