This painting is closely related to that by Jan Brueghel the Younger formerly with Galerie Sanct Lucas, Vienna (with which the present work was mistakenly identified in the 1996 sale at Christie's).1
Both compositions have clearly been executed in the spirit of Jan Brueghel the Elder, but in contrast to the Galerie Sanct Lucas painting, the viewpoint in this work is drawn back to encompass more details, such as the additional animals and figures in the foreground, and to enable an increased sense of recession. The silvery blue tonality of the present work also suggests that it may date to the late 17th century.
1 Oil on panel, 21 cm. diameter; see K. Ertz, Jan Breughel the Younger (1601–1678), Freren 1984, p. 247, cat. no. 66, reproduced in colour fig. 14.