194
194
Joseph Mallord William Turner, R.A.
HERSTMONCEUX CASTLE, SUSSEX
前往
194
Joseph Mallord William Turner, R.A.
HERSTMONCEUX CASTLE, SUSSEX
前往

拍品詳情

西洋古典油畫及素描

|
倫敦

Joseph Mallord William Turner, R.A.
1775 - 1851年,倫敦
HERSTMONCEUX CASTLE, SUSSEX
Watercolour over pencil, heightened with bodycolour, scratching out and stopping out;
signed, lower left: JMW Turner RA
378 by 562 mm
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

來源

Commissioned by John Fuller (1757-1834), Rosehill Park, Brightling,
by family descent until,
Sir Alexander Fuller-Acland-Hood, 1st Baron St Audries (1853-1917),
his sale, London, Christie's, 4 April 1908, lot 90, bt. Agnew's, on behalf of the father-in-law of the present owner

展覽

London, The International Exhibition, 1862, no. 780;
London, Agnew's, Centenary Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings by Turner, 1931, no. 37;
Hastings, Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Turner in 1066 Country, 1998, no. 12;
The Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (on loan 2004-2018)

出版

Sir W. Armstrong, Turner, London 1902, p. 258;
A. Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, Fribourg 1979, p. 348, no. 429;
E. Shanes, Turner's England 1810-1838, London 1990, p. 25;
A. Loukes, Turner's Sussex, exhib. cat., Sussex, Petworth House, 2013, p. 6  



Engraved:

by W.B. Cooke for Views in Hastings and its Vicinity (unpublished)  

相關資料

Magnificent Herstmonceaux Castle, which stands a few miles inland from Pevensey Bay, dates to the mid fifteenth century and is one of the earliest brick buildings in Britain. It was built by Sir Roger Fiennes (1384-1449), a prominent courtier, who accompanied Henry V to Agincourt and who later served as High Sheriff of Sussex. There had been a manor house on the site, which had been the seat, successively, of the de Hersts, the de Monceuxs and the Fiennes, from the time of the Conquest.

The castle remained in the Darcy family, who were connected to the Fiennes’ by marriage, until the reign of Charles II, when Lord Darcy, 1st Earl of Sussex was forced to sell his family seat, as a result of his extravagance and his love of gambling. In the eighteenth century, the castle was owned by the Naylor family, who were related to the Dukes of Newcastle, but by the end of the century, the building had fallen into a ruinous state. At the time of Turner’s visit, the great building was owned by Thomas Read Kemp (1782-1844), a Member of Parliament and the founder of Kemp Town in Brighton. 

In the present watercolour, which has been dated to 1813, Turner has positioned himself to the south west of the castle. The great edifice dominates the landscape and its pinky-red brick contrasting dramatically with the greens, blues and yellows of the surrounding countryside. It is early morning and a fine mist gently rises from the castle’s moat. To the left, a horse-drawn-carriage prepares to leave, while in the foreground, four cattle, whose composition and bulky forms appear to mirror that of the castle, cool off in the a reed-lined pond.

For further information on Turner’s Sussex watercolours please see lot 193.

西洋古典油畫及素描

|
倫敦