97

拍品詳情

布萊恩‧伯恩斯收藏愛爾蘭藝術

|
倫敦

Evie Hone
1894 - 1955
CARTOON FOR THE LEFT HAND STAINED GLASS PANEL, NAITHI'S BAPTISTRY, DUNDRUM
signed and dated l.r.: E. Hone. 1933
watercolour and gouache
33 by 25cm.,13 by 9¾in.
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

來源

Gorry Gallery, Dublin, 1995

相關資料

Together with her artist and friend Mainie Jellet, Evie Hone was an important figure in introducing modern art to Dublin. They had both trained in France and studied under André Lhote and Albert Gleizes where they developed a strong appreciation for Cubism. Aside exhibiting in Dublin, Hone also exhibited at the Salon des Indépendants, Salon des Surindépendens and the Salon d’Automne in Paris.

Hone was deeply religious, even joining a community of Anglican nuns in Cornwall in 1925. Her religious devotion became a significant inspiration for her artwork. This is particularly apparent after her transition from painting to stained-glass designs in 1933. Encouraged by illustrator Arthur Rackham, Hone converted her first designs into glass. These first panels, consisting of an image of The Annunciation and two abstract designs, were placed into a window in St. Nathi’s Church, Dundrum, Co. Dublin in 1934. The present work is one of these 1933 designs and demonstrates the skill with which Hone translated the Cubist style of her paintings into stained glass.

布萊恩‧伯恩斯收藏愛爾蘭藝術

|
倫敦